History and Geography knowledge Organisers
We have introduced a new idea into school to help us develop children’s knowledge and understanding of humanities. For each new topic, children will bring home a document called a Knowledge Organiser. This document contains the essential knowledge that children will need to know as part of the new topic they will be studying in class. These Knowledge Organisers are designed to be used at home by parents to help children learn the information contained within. We want every pupil to be able to recall the information on these sheets off by heart by the end of the topic.
The best way to use the Knowledge Organiser at home is as follows-
- Put them on the fridge door or a place in the home where it will be seen frequently!
- Children read the information from the section to learned (with an adult)
- They then try and recall the information (this can be written down or verbally)
- An adult tests them on the information
- The key to success is to repeat this regularly over the weeks
The latest teaching research has found that it is important to keep revisiting the information that has already been learned in previous weeks to keep it fresh in the memory. We are confident that these Knowledge Organisers will help our children to develop knowledge on a wide range of topics and will significantly improve their vocabulary. This in turn will make them more confident in class and help them to develop their reading and writing skills.